Sunday 13 July 2014

Free Fun Day in the Capital

I may have been away for a month, but in that month I've been gathering plenty of ammo for lots of new and exciting posts. For those of you who have been following me until my recent absence, you will know that just before I disappeared I was preparing to move down to London. Well I'm here now and I finally have internet in my flat  after three very long hard weeks and so the posts can begin again.

For today's I have decided to just show you what I got up to today/what to do on a nice summer's day in London when your flatmate is away and you have no money. As it is Sunday and I knew I was heading down to a fairly posh part of London, I decided to dress nicely for the occasion.


My shirt is from M&S, my skirt is vintage and my sandals (which you can just about see) are from Office and my bag is my Mulberry Bayswater. It's not clear on the photo but on my lips I am wearing Hourglass matte lipstick in Rivera.

I decided to head to one of the parks in central London and just have a wander round and I feel I have compiled  a good list of things to do on a nice sunny day for absolutely free in one of the most expensive parts of the capital.

First of all I got the tube down to Hype Park Corner and wandered through Hyde Park where I saw the preparation for screening the World Cup final tonight (admittedly you would not see this any other day so I can't include this in my recommendation). I walked all the way through to Kensington Gardens.


Seeing an image like this is, it can be difficult to believe you're in the middle of  a city of 10 million people, though I did manage to catch a rare moment where there wasn't a Boris bike in front of me.


This is the statue of physical energy at the centre of Kensington Gardens. For me it has quite special memories attatched, but I also think it is a beautiful piece of art in a beautiful location.



This is the Peter Pan statue, again a beautiful piece of art in the middle of this wonderful park.



And finally the round pond.


























Something I noticed as I was leaving the park was the view you get over two of the most famous sights of the London skyline, the Shard and the London Eye



Another absolutely stunning sight of Kensington Gardens is the Albert memorial, located at the south entrance to the park opposite the equally as beautiful Royal Albert Hall, it is simply incredible to behold. (I'm already beginning to sound like a tour guide, but this is something special.)


From the park I decided to wander down Kensington Road where my eyes lit up when I saw one of the few remaining original routemaster buses drive past me, I was beginning to feel like I had stepped back in time at this point. 


And as I walked further along the road I spotted this sign which brought an even bigger grin to my face as Hounslow is where I now work and it seems a very random place to have an old fashioned sign pointing towards from one of the most exclusive areas in London. 


Finally I turned down Exhibition Road and came across a free travel photography exhibition at the Royal Geographical Society. It was absolutely fascinating but I obviously wasn't allowed to take pictures inside. Also on Exhibition Road are the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum, all free entry and all well worth a visit. All in all a beautiful day out in London for absolutely nothing (other than the price of the tube there and back). 

I hope to start posting regularly again now that I have finally been reunited with wifi and I have lots to share from my first month in London, including being at a pub Friday night with a certain Geordie Britain's Got Talent Presenter. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment