Thursday 24 July 2014

'Healthy' Summer Berry Brownie Recipe

This is a little different from my usual posts, but tonight I went a little baking mad. After a long day at work I decided to bake a 'healthy' brownie recipe. Though once I saw how much sugar went into it I quickly realised that wasn't going to be the case. 


The recipe calls for 3 eggs which you then separate, 250g caster sugar, 300g of low fat or fat free Greek yoghurt, 300g self raising flour, 200g cocoa powder, 1 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, some frozen fruit (I went for summer berries) and some pieces of chocolate. 

The last two items are optional as the brownies taste amazing on their own, but to add that extra burst of flavour (and to make it feel healthy by putting fruit in it) I would recommend adding them. 

To star off you preheat the oven, I'm not going to give advice on temperatures here because if I've learnt anything for living in four different houses and baking in four different kitchens over the past 2 years is that every oven is different and everyone knows their own oven, but I went for gas mark 4. 

Anyway, you then mix the egg yolks, sugar, oil and yogurt before sifting in the flour and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they are fluffy and then fold into the mixture. 

At this point it would recommend taking a mid baking selfie. 


I just love any excuse to wear my apron. 

After the mixture is all mixed (and licking the spoon is now too tempting to resist) pour onto a greasproof lines baking tray. Then place the fruit where you want it and as an added extra I used crunchy chocolate pieces (chocolate with small peices of cereal in) which I broke in half and scattered in the mixture with the fruit. 


The mixture should now look something like this. Then pop it in the oven, again I'm not going to advise on times, just keep an eye on it. It could take 20 minutes or if you have a really old oven like me it could take 45. When it looks like it's done though put a knife in the middle of the mixture, if it comes out with nothing on then it's ready, if there's mixture on the knife it needs a little longer. 


When you've cleaned up the mess you'll inevitably make because let's face it, it's chocolate, hopefully the brownies will be ready and look a little something like this. 


And a little like this inside. Like all baked goods they're best hot from the oven, but mind the fruit as that can be very hot. 

Let me know if any of you guys try out this recipe. I want to start including more baking on here as I feel I am becoming the perfect housewife managing to incorporate the gym at 6.30am, a 9-5 job and cooking and cleaning daily. Sometimes being a grown up can actually be fun, if only paying bills was this fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment